Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- 990 Finder [https://www.nypl.org/collections/articles-databases/foundation-finder]-Provides information about private and community foundations within the U.S. which are defined as nonprofit organizations under IRS rule 501(c)(3).
- Better Business Bureau (Metro NYC) [https://www.bbb.org/local-bbb/bbb-serving-metropolitan-new-york]-reports on NY businesses and charities.
- candid.org [https://candid.org/]-Formerly known as the Foundation Center. Producer of nonprofit directories, databases, seminars, and management handbooks. Library is located in New York City.
- Charity Navigator [https://www.charitynavigator.org/]-Provides financial information on major U.S. charitable organizations.
- GuideStar [www.guidestar.org]-profits reports and links to 990 tax returns for nonprofit organizations. Note: Access to some sections of the website are fee-based.
- Independent Sector [https://independentsector.org/]-coalition of nonprofits, foundations and corporate giving programs. Produces reports and nonprofit sector profiles by U.S. state location.
- National Center for Charitable Statistics | Urban Institute [https://nccs.urban.org/]-publishes datasets other statistical reports related to nonprofits and charities. Also produces the publication Nonprofit Sector in Brief .
- NYCity Map Portal [http://maps.nyc.gov/doitt/nycitymap/]-map which overlays searchable data sets by population characteristics used by the U.S. census, locations of points of interest (POI) that are non-profit organizations (service center/resident services types, cultural institutions, schools, hospitals) .
- Pew Charitable Trusts [https://www.pewtrusts.org/en]-website provides links to nonprofit policy and activity. Parent organization of research organization Pew Research Center.