Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Welcome to the Research & Reference Division! The Jean Blackwell Hutson (JBH) Research and Reference Division is one of five divisions at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture. JBH holds and provides access to books, serials, microforms, clippings, and maps containing information by and about people of African descent throughout the world, concentrating on the humanities, social sciences, and the arts.
Here are some things you should know before visiting the Research and Reference Division at the Schomburg Center. For additional information, check out the Plan Your Research Visit page.
- You do not need an appointment to visit the Research and Reference Division. Always make sure to check the hours and holiday closings prior to your visit.
- We are a closed stacks library, meaning we do not keep our collections on open shelves for spacing and preservation purposes. Don't worry! It usually only takes us between ten and fifteen minutes to retrieve requested items. However, there are still some things you should know:
- In order to request items you need to have a New York Public Library Card. You will need to have the physical card with you.
- There are some instances where an item will be in offsite storage, which you can request ahead of time.
- As is the case with all NYPL Research Libraries, you will be asked to check large bags and coats.
- Scanning and photocopying are available in the Research & Reference Division. You will need a flash drive for scanning, if you forget you can purchase one in the Schomburg Gift Shop. Please don't hesitate to ask us about photocopies and photography polices.
- We have Internet computers and Catalog / Database computers available for our patrons, but please feel free to bring your own laptop.
- The Research and Reference Division provides access to digital microfilm readers.
- Please review NYPL Rules & Regulations prior to your visit.
Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture
515 Malcolm X Boulevard (135th St and Malcolm X Blvd)
New York, NY 10037
Research and Reference Division Hours
(New hours as of September 7, 2021)
Tuesday: 11am - 5:45pm
Wednesday: 11am - 5:45pm
Thursday: 11am - 5:45pm
Friday: 11am - 5:45pm
Saturday: 11am - 5:45pm