Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Art and Artifacts Division
The Art and Artifacts Division collects, documents, preserves, and interprets art and artifacts by and about peoples of African heritage throughout the world. Fine and applied art and material culture objects from the seventeenth century to the present are collected, with emphasis on the visual arts of the twentieth century in the United States and Africa.
Art and Artifacts' Collections
These items are from the division's Works on paper, Poster (sub-collections- Black authors and poets; Notable blacks, and Schomburg Events), and Sculptor collections. Please contact the division directly for more information.
Posters (title; accession number: sub-collection, size)
- Sojourner Truth; PO.X.875; Notable Blacks; 24.75 x 17.75;
- Frederick Douglass (1817-1895) and Sojourner Truth (1797-1883); NN, Notable Blacks; 14 x 17;
- Black Heritage from the Schomburg Collection (image of Phillis Wheatley); PO.X.1236; Schomburg Events; 22.5x15.5
- Phillis Wheatley, a bicentennial exhibition; PO.X.853; Black Authors and Poets; 23 x 14.5
Sculptors (title, creator, date, accession number, medium, and size)
- Sojourner Truth I, Hardison, Inge, 1968, SC.98.003, Bronze, 22.5 x 10 x 5
- Sojourner Truth II, Hardison, Inge, 1975, SC.87.005, Alvastone Plaster, 12"H
- Phillis Wheatley, Fuller, Meta Warrick, 1930, 97.002, Plaster, 8 x 6.5D
Works on paper- Drawings and Prints (title; creator; date; accession number; medium; size)
- Phillis Wheatley; Braxton, William Earnest; DR.25.001.5, ca., 1925; Pencil on Board; 8.25 x 6.25
- Sojourner Truth; Wilson, John;1954; PR.X.144; Offset lithograph, 19 3/4x13"
- Phillis Wheatley; Smith, Albert Alexander; 1922; PR.113; Etching; 12.5 x 9.5
Black Heritage poster
Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Art and Artifacts Division, The New York Public Library. "Black Heritage from the Schomburg Collection" The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1975-02-04 - 1975-03-02. https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/0c8e0f10-475a-0132-2bfa-58d385a7bbd0